Press releases

Wits Gold award

MDM awarded a DFS for BRPM 250 ktpm Merensky upgrade & 100 ktpm Merensky Concentrator in South Africa

20 February 2014

MDM Engineering (AIM: MDM) the minerals process and project management company focused on the mining industry, is pleased to announce that it has been awarded the definitive feasibility study (“DFS”) for Royal Bafokeng Platinum’s (“RBPlat”) 250,000 tonnes per month (tpm) Merensky upgrade at its Bafokeng Rasimone Platinum Mine (“BRPM”) in South Africa.

The BRPM Concentrator, is a joint venture Platinum operation between RBPlat and Anglo American Platinum, and was initially designed to treat 200,000 tpm of Merensky ore. 

MDM has also been awarded a second DFS for the stand-alone 100,000 tpm Merensky Concentrator, which is to be erected adjacent to the existing BRPM concentrator.

Jeff Stevens, MDM Principal Study Manager, said:
“MDM is thrilled to be working on yet another PGM project after the successful construction and commissioning of the Tharisa expansion project in South Africa in 2012. MDM’s PGM execution and study experience will bring a large body of knowledge to the BRPM projects. We look forward to building on our strong working relationship with the stakeholders of these projects.”

Enquiries:

MDM Engineering Group Limited

Martin Smith (CEO)
George Bennett (Executive Director)

Tel: +27 (0) 11 993 4300

Canaccord Genuity Limited
NOMAD and Broker

Neil Elliot
Chris Fincken
Joe Weaving

Tel: +44 (0)20 7523 8000

Tavistock Communications
Financial Public Relations and Investor

Emily Fenton
Jos Simson

Tel: +44 (0)20 7920 3150

Royal Bafokeng Platinum (RBPlat):

RBPlat is an independently operated and managed, BEE-controlled mid-tier platinum group metals producer whose current mining operations and planned expansion prospects are based on the Bushveld Igneous Complex (the “Bushveld Complex”) in the North West Province, South Africa, the largest source of platinum group metals in the world. BRPM’s prime location and easy access to infrastructure means that it is ideally positioned for regional consolidation with neighbouring mines.
The company’s key asset is a 67 percent interest in the BRPM JV, a joint venture between itself through its wholly-owned subsidiary, Royal Bafokeng Resources Proprietary Limited (RBR) and Rustenburg Platinum Mines Limited (RPM), a wholly-owned subsidiary of Anglo American Platinum Limited established to exploit platinum group metals in the Merensky and UG2 reefs on the Boschkoppie, Frischgewaagd and Styldrift farms in the Rustenburg area.
The BRPM JV was originally formed as a 50:50 joint venture in January 2002 and was restructured in December 2009 to enable RBR to acquire a majority 67% interest in the joint venture effective 7 December 2009, with RPM holding the remaining 33% interest. RBPlat took over operational control of the BRPM JV in January 2010 and the company listed on the JSE Limited on 8 November 2010. RBPlat has a current market capitalisation of around R11 billion.

For more information, please visit www.bafokengplatinum.co.za.

 

Register for alerts

  • E-mail:
  • Remove me