Press releases

MDM purchases own shares

MDM Engineering awarded Rand Uranium scoping study

1 September 2009

MDM Engineering Group Ltd (AIM: MDM), the minerals process and project management group that provides services to the mining industry in Africa, is pleased to announce that it has been awarded the contract to undertake a scoping study for Rand Uranium (Pty) Ltd.

The scoping study will explore the economic viability of reprocessing medium grade gold and uranium tailings and the retreatment of the concentrate at a new plant as supplementary feed.

The tailings will be fed from Rand Uranium’s Millsite, Lindum and Old 4 dumps situated in the Westonaria region of South Africa.

Rand Uranium (Pty) Ltd is a company spun out of gold major Harmony Gold which holds a 40% stake with the remaining 60% interest owned by US-backed Pamodzi Resource Fund.
The MDM Engineering team has a 20 year track record of undertaking scoping and feasibility studies, including designing and constructing some 52 metallurgical plants throughout Africa.  The team’s previous uranium experience includes the construction of two leach uranium plants in South Africa and a Definitive Costing Study in Zambia.

Grant Lowman, MDM Engineering CEO commented:
"We are delighted to have been awarded this scoping study for another gold and uranium tailings treatment.  We look forward to establishing a strong working relationship with Rand Uranium as our team builds on its substantial experience and reputation in the uranium industry."

Key Information:

MDM Engineering Group Limited is a minerals process and project management company focused on the mining industry. The Company provides a wide range of services from preliminary and final feasibility studies, through to plant design, construction and commissioning. To date, the Company's clients have largely been junior and mid-tier mining corporations with operations in Africa.

In May 2008, the Company successfully listed on the AIM market of the London Stock Exchange. The MDM Engineering core technical team has a 20 year track record of completing a wide range of studies and execution projects across a variety of minerals, including precious metals, base metals, ferrous and non-ferrous metals, uranium and diamonds.

The Company has adopted an approach to project execution based on an open-book Engineering, Procurement, Construction Management ("EPCM" or ";cost-plus") basis. With a core focus on Africa, MDM Engineering is setting the benchmark standard for best practice in the mining services industry through its commitment to providing the highest quality services and actively engaging with clients to ensure maximum transparency.


MDM Engineering Group Limited

Grant Lowman (Chief Executive Officer)
Tel: +27 (0) 11 993 4300

George Bennett (Executive Director)
Tel: +27 (0) 11 993 4300

Dominique de la Roche (Finance Director)
Tel: +27 (0) 11 993 4300

Numis Securities Limited

John Harrison (Nominated Adviser)
Tel: +44 (0) 207 260 1000

James Black (Corporate Broker)
Tel: +44 (0) 207 260 1000

Pelham PR

Candice Sgroi
Tel: +44 (0) 207 7337 1533

James MacFarlane
Tel : +44 (0) 20 7337 1527


Register for alerts

  • E-mail:
  • Remove me